Skip to main content

How to differentiate between a Zeelander 44, 55 and 72?

One day, your life might depend on being able to tell the difference between a Zeelander 44, a 55 and the 72.

At first glace, these boat models are quite similar to each other. You could easily think that a Z44 is a Z55 closer to you.

Three different models. Which is which?
To figure this out, you can spend 5 hours manually reviewing and annotating a thousands photos, deleting bad training data, and staring at tiny thumbnails photos of these boats until your eyes start bleeding.

Then, put this data into a ResNet34, and see that after all of that effort you are able to tell each model from the others 60% of the time. In other words, it guesses correctly less than every two out of three attempts.

A ResNet34 can tell these models from each other 60% of the time.

That's crap. A waste of time and money.

Here is how you differentiate these models like a human.

The Z44 has windows in sets of two, the Z55 has windows in sets of three, the Z72 has an uneven window layout, with four large windows in the center, two at the front, and a vent at the back.

When you need to name the model of the boat while flying over it in a helicopter, observe the front deck: the Z44 has a round cover/window, the Z55 has three dark covers, the Z72 has a rectangular cover.


How to tell a Z44 from a Z55 from a Z72 in a glance.

These two rules alone should allow you to tell a Z44 from a Z55 and from a Z72, at least 80% of the time. I hope you don't stumble onto the remaining 20%, or bad things will happen to you, for sure.

I hope you learned something useful today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basic cell counting and segmentation in Matlab

Counting cells manually is a tedious error prone process for humans. Given a large data set of microscopy images this task can be achieved much faster by means of basic computer vision techniques. In this tutorial we will segment cells from an image following a method similar to the one presented by Yongming Chen in 1999. The method uses basic morphological operations and the watershed algorithm to segment the cells. Nowadays better methods for cell segmentation exist. This method was chosen for its simplicity and ease of implementation.

We start with an image of cell-like structures by Anna-Katerina Hadjantonakis and Virginia E Papaioannou.

A = imread('cells.jpg');
We convert the image to grayscale:
I = rgb2gray(A);

To be able to extract the dimmer cells, it is necessary to perform some local contrast adjustments
I = adapthisteq(I);


Objects on the borders can be caused by noise and other artifacts. We can eliminate objects on the borders of the image like this:
I = imclearborder(…

Project planning in a text file

Whenever you work on a project it is important to be able to plan it ahead of time. This holds true for small and big project, from planning a trip to the spa to building a spaceship. The small project plans can be maintained in you thoughts while bigger ones require tools to help you see the big-picture of the project and manage task at a lower level. There are projects which start with a fully prepared plan and projects which pivot overnight, thus invalidating any original plan. For the latter flexibility is very important, and tools like Trello offer a great solution because they can be adjusted to fit your project.

However, it may happen sometimes that the project starts adjusting to the tool or that you still want to maintain a bigger picture of the main points of the project. You may also need to produce a rough development schedule to serve as a long term road-map.

I have prototyped a tool (and defined a workflow) which allows you to plan such projects.

To better understand how…

Selenium testing in Jenkins with an in-memory X server

This articles explains how to setup integration testing of web applications (that require a browser instance) on a Jenkins server. The article assumes you are able to understand the title. If you need a reminder follow the links below.

What is Selenium? Read here.
What is Jenkins? Read here.
What is an X server? Read here.

If you are still puzzled, this article is not for you.

Integration testing of web application is more complicated than unit testing, because they require a browser instance to be running. In order to run a browser (such as Firefox) you need and X server. The testing server usually doesn't have one.

One solution to this is to run the browser instance on another machine through VNC. This has the advantage of not using the same resources as the testing server. However it requires setting up a new machine, and configuring the integration tests to run a browser in it.

Another solution is to use Xvfb, a display server that implements the X11 protocol, but does not re…